Zimbabwe is asking ahead to the results of its landmark elections, with each frontrunners asserting they’re confident.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa said he had bought “extremely obvious” knowledge but opposition leader Nelson Chamisa said his event modified into “a hit resoundingly”.
Zimbabwe is electing a brand new president, parliament and local councils.
Monday’s vote – the predominant since long-serving ruler Robert Mugabe modified into ousted – attracted a high turnout of 75%.
The formative years vote is expected to be key – with nearly half of of Zimbabwe’s 5.6 million registered voters below the age of 35.
European Union and US election monitors personal been allowed into the nation for the predominant time in sixteen years to evaluate whether the elections are free and comely.
Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (Zec) chairwoman Priscilla Chigumba said she modified into gay there modified into no dishonest.
“We is now not any longer going to subvert [the people’s will],” she immediate journalists.
Earlier polls personal been marred by allegations of standard rigging and intimidation.
When will we know the winner?
Zec has till Saturday to order the results but Ms Chigumba said she expects the announcement to be made successfully within that closing date.
Observers squawk the flee between Mr Mnangagwa’s Zanu-PF event, and Mr Chamisa’s MDC Alliance, is amazingly tight. Both men are amongst 23 candidates running for president.
They each hinted at victory on Tuesday, but said they were attempting ahead to Zec to homicide the announcement.
They are running for the presidency for the predominant time, and wish extra than 50% of the vote to make a choice outright.
Otherwise, a speed-off election will be held on eight September.
Who’re the predominant presidential opponents?
Emmerson Mnangagwa, Zanu-PF
- Is named “the crocodile” thanks to his political shrewdness – his event faction is identified as “Lacoste”
- Accused of masterminding assaults on opposition supporters after the 2008 election
- Thought to be 75 years feeble, he guarantees to raise jobs, and is considered as inaugurate to financial reforms
- Survived several alleged assassination makes an strive, blamed on supporters of ex-President Mugabe.
The ‘crocodile’ who snapped abet
Nelson Chamisa, MDC Alliance
- His skull modified into fractured when beaten up by enlighten safety agents in 2007
- Was an MP at 25, a cabinet minister at 31 and can changed into the youngest president at forty
- A no longer too long previously certified pastor, he has been the employ of the hashtag #GodIsInIt for his marketing and marketing campaign
- Has promised to rebuild the nation’s devastated financial system, but has been criticised for making extravagant guarantees – equivalent to the introduction of a high-dawdle bullet practice and bringing the Olympics to Zimbabwe.
The crusader taking on Zimbabwe’s ‘crocodile’
What are foreign places observers asserting?
European Union chief observer Elmar Brok said it modified into too rapidly to homicide a judgement but vote casting had been “very delicate” in some areas and “fully disorganised” in other areas, Reuters news agency quotes him as asserting.
“There are shortcomings that now we want to appear at. We do now not know but whether it modified into a sample or whether it modified into a ask of inferior organisation in certain polling stations,” Mr Brok immediate the AFP new agency.
As successfully as worries regarding the voters’ roll, the opposition has expressed field over the safety of pollpapers and voter intimidation in basically rural areas.
Liberia’s aged President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who modified into monitoring the poll on behalf of the US-based mostly fully mostly Nationwide Democratic Institute, immediate the BBC that Monday’s long queues showed Zimbabweans were eager about vote casting, without any roughly repression.
“I agree with here’s an exhilarating 2nd for Zimbabweans to alternate the course of their nation by their votes,” she immediate the BBC.